You might have seen in most of the skin care youtube videos, beauty experts suggest exfoliating the skin. Most of the people still wonder how to exfoliate skin in a proper way.
Skin exfoliation is one of the important steps in the skincare routine. It helps the skin to shed dead cells and maintains glowing skin. Hence today we will see more about skin exfoliation.
Recently there are many upgrades to the skin exfoliation. Chemical peel, bleaching, laser peel are becoming the latest trend. However, the skin may damage by repeated exposure to such treatments.
What is Exfoliation?
Like hair, skin also grows in layers on our body. They say skin has 7 layers one below the other. Well, as skin develops new layer, old skin starts accumulating resulting in dull, dark and dry skin. Though our body has a natural power to exfoliate by itself, ignorance may result in acne and dullness. Hence prevention is better than cure.
Exfoliation is manual removal of dead skin cells from the body using facial scrubs as exfoliators. Regular exfoliation gives smooth and bright skin and also helps in preventing acne.
Can I do Exfoliation by myself?
Yes. This is not a big deal, no need to pour your money on expensive parlors. All you need to do is to know about your skin, whether it is sensitive, dry, oily or a combination then find the best scrub to suit your skin conditions. I suggest trying samples before buying the actual product. Small granules in the scrub provide more benefits.
There are also best homemade products for skin exfoliation and the result of these natural products is promising.
There are soapy and non-soapy exfoliators available in the market and this choice totally depends on you. Non-soapy scrubs might not give the actual feel of washing face but they contain synthetic surfactant ingredients which are mild to the skin compared to soapy cleansers. Better to go for nonsoapy exfoliators.
How to exfoliate?
We have reached the main topic of this post. There are multiple products like a facial scrub, smoothening scrub, skin exfoliators, facial brushes which helps in exfoliation. Facial brushes are hand devices which help to unclog pores, remove dead skin cells.
This is how you should exfoliate your skin;
- Take facial scrub, brush (If you are using), soft towel and moisturizing cream.
- Pour a dab of scrub onto your fingers(or brush) and apply gently on face.
- Smoothly rub on your face in a clockwise direction on cheeks, chin, forehead, nose, and neck. Don’t be harsh! Continue for 2 minutes.
- Wash face with warm luke water and tap dry with a smooth towel.
- Once after the skin is dry then apply your preferred moisturizer.
Done! Exfoliating twice a week should be enough to maintain healthy skin.
There are many methods to exfoliate your skin. You can choose the easiest one according to your comfort.
Benefits of Skin Exfoliation
As I already mentioned skin exfoliation helps in removing dead skin cells, blackheads and whiteheads. Thus skin will feel fresh every time you exfoliate.
Benefits of exfoliation are;
- It removes blackheads and whiteheads.
- Unclogs pores from the residual makeup, pollution, and dirt.
- Dark spots will start fading after a regular exfoliation.
- For people with oily skin, exfoliation is a great way to control the oil and thus it fights acne.
- Helps with glowing and radiated skin.
- Regular exfoliation helps with even skin tone.
- It makes skin tight, firm and smooth.
- Exfoliation rejuvenates the skin making it feel young and fresh.
Do it gently
Rubbing skin harshly or daily exfoliation can damage your skin. It makes the skin more sensitive, increases rashes and redness. Before buying scrub don’t forget to check the ingredients.
Have a skin care routine including minimum once a week or maximum twice a week exfoliation. Don’t irritate your skin by forcing too many chemicals on it.
Since exfoliation leaves skin dry applying a good amount of moisturization is a must! Choose your moisturizer wisely (non-comedogenic for sensitive skin!).