Instant Pot is really a lifesaver with its multipurpose uses. We Indians have lots of varieties in our food. Rice, Grains, Sambhar, Idli, Dose and a number of food items. You name an ingredient, we have a minimum of 2-3 recipes using that ingredient.
Hence it is very difficult to cook different items in minimal time. Why I called Instant Pot as a lifesaver is because of the same reason. You can cook Rice, Dal, Sambar, ferment Dosa batter, make curd, Steam Idlis (with the help of Idli stand which can fit inside your instant pot), prepare many rice recipes, bake cakes and what not!
I have tried Instant Pot Capsicum Rice, Instant Pot stuffed Brinjal curry, Instant Pot Paneer Veg Biriyani and everything turned out as expected. In fact, total cooking time has been reduced compared to the traditional cooker time and overall it is an easy process.
About Bisi Bele Bath…
Today in this post we are going to see the recipe of Bisi Bele Bath using Instant Pot. Bisi Bele Bath (BBB) in English can be translated as ‘hot lentils rice’ is one of the special food from Karnataka. The main ingredients are rice, lentils and vegetables hence BBB is rich with proteins and Vitamins.
There is no definite occasion to prepare Bisi Bele Bath in Karnataka but people often make it during special occasions. It is also prepared for breakfast, lunch and dinner hence Bisi Bele Bath is one flexible food which can be prepared at any time. When there are guests at your home and you want to prepare something special then Bisi Bele Bath is here for you!
Bisi Bele Bath can be prepared in many ways. Few people cook Rice and lentils (& Vegetables) separately and then mix them to reach the final step. In this post, I’m sharing the easiest recipe which can be prepared quickly using Instant pot.
In this method I’m cooking everything together; Rice, Lentils and Vegetables. Hence there is no trouble to use multiple vessels or difficult steps to make Bisi Bele Bath.
Let’s look at the Instant Pot Bisi Bele Bath Recipe;
Rice – 2 Cups
Lentils (Toor Dal) – 2 Cups
Groundnuts – Handful or 1/2 cup
Water – As required
Carrots – 3
Beans – 250 gms
Potato – 2
Onions – 2
Peas – 1 cup
Chilli Powder – 2 tablespoon
Bisi Bele Bath Powder – 4 tablespoon
Turmeric – 1 tablespoon
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 2 tablespoon
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin Seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida – Pinch
Dry Red Chillies – 2-3
Jaggery – 2 tablespoon
Tamarind – half lemon sized
Salt – As per the taste
Preparation Time (Total): 35 mins
How to make Instant Pot Bisi Bele Bath:
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and keep the frozen peas ready.
Step 1 – Cooking Rice, Lentils & Vegetables
- Take 2 cups of Rice and 2 cups of Lentils (Toor Dal) in instant Pot and wash thoroughly.
- After washing 2-3 times add groundnuts, Turmeric Powder and salt to the Pot. Keep it aside.
- Now prepare Vegetables. You can add any vegetables, I have added a bottle guard (Calabash). The amount of vegetables depends on the quantity of rice and lentils. For more quantity add more vegetables and vice versa.
- Mix these cut vegetables in Instant Pot and add water. Water should be in be 1:4 ratio with rice and lentils. In this case, we have a total of 4 cups of rice and lentils (2 cups rice and 2 cups lentils) hence the water should be 16 cups. You can also add approximately and mix the water later. But make sure to add enough water so that it won’t stick to the bottom during the pressure process.
- Now set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook and set for 12 minutes. Time can vary depending on the total quantity of the ingredients.
- If you are preparing in large quantity and have lots of vegetables to cut then pressure cook rice, lentils and groundnuts. While it is cooking you can prepare veggies and half-cook them in a separate vessel. Then you can add them to the instant pot before adding Masala and cook further.
Step 2 – Cooking BBB
- Once after step 5, wait until the pressure is released naturally or you can turn the knob to release pressure. I manually release the pressure after 4-5 minutes of pressure cooking.
- Now see the water level and add more if required. The consistency should not be very thick or too watery. Final Bisi Bele Bath thickness should be running and flowy.
- Add Frozen Peas. If you are using dry peas (soaked overnight) then mix them along with rice and lentils (@ Step 2). Adding frozen peas at this step so that they will not mash and preserve their shape.
- Add Bisi Bele Bath Powder, Chilli Powder, Jaggery and tamarind juice (squeezed from the soaked tamarind) and mix well. I have used homemade Bisi Bele Bath Powder which provides authentic BBB taste. You can use MTR powder as well.
- Set the Instant Pot to Soup/Broth and let everything mix well. Keep stirring occasionally otherwise BBB will stick to the bottom and Instant Pot starts giving ‘burn’ warning.
- Check the salt and add more if required. Continue cooking for up to 15 – 20 mins.
Step 3 – One Final Step
- Meanwhile, prepare tadaka. Heat Ghee (Clarified butter) in a small pan. Once it is hot enough add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida and dry red chillies.
- Add the tadaka to Instant Pot and Bisi Bele Bath is ready to serve. For additional taste, you can add more ghee directly to the instant pot once after the BBB is ready.
Step by step guide for Instant Pot Bisi Bele Recipe using pictures;
1) Soak Tamarind in warm water and keep the frozen peas ready.
2) Take Rice and Dal in an instant pot and wash them thoroughly. Rice Dal ratio should be 1:1. Add turmeric and salt to this mixture.
3) Add groundnuts to the Instant pot of neatly washed rice and lentils.
4) Add all the chopped vegetables on top of groundnuts.
5) Add water in 1:4 ratio and mix everything well.
6) Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook (High) and adjust it for 12 minutes.
7) Release pressure manually or wait until it is released naturally (which takes time). Open the lid and mix everything well. Now add Peas, Bisi Bele Bath Powder (Homemade or MTR), Chilli Powder, Jaggery and Tamarind Juice. Set the Instant Pot to Soup/Broth for 15-20 minutes and let everything mix well (It starts boiling so be cautious about the sputtering BBB or close the lid). Keep stirring occasionally.
8) Meanwhile, heat Ghee in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and red chillies. Add this Tadaka to the Bisi Bele Bath and turn off the Instant Pot. Bisi Bele Bath is ready to serve now. It tastes better with Potato chips or Boondi.