Exfoliating skin is one of the important steps in the skincare routine. It helps the skin to get rid of dead cells and thus helps to maintain healthy skin. Hence regular exfoliation is as important as your daily dose of exercise. Most of the people still wonder how to exfoliate skin in a proper way. Hence let’s look at this process in detail;
What is Exfoliating Skin?
Exfoliating is the process of removing dead skin cells, blackheads, whiteheads, and any other dirt from the skin pores. Like hair, skin also grows in layers on our body. They say skin has seven layers one below the other. As skin develops a new layer, it sheds the old layer that starts accumulating on skin if not removed properly. Accumulation of dead skin cells results in unevenly toned skin that lacks the glow. Though our body has a natural power to exfoliate by itself, ignorance may result in acne, dry and dull skin. Hence prevention is better than cure.
Exfoliation is manual removal of dead skin cells from the body using facial scrubs as exfoliators. Regular exfoliation gives smooth and bright skin and also helps in preventing acne.
Can I do Exfoliation by myself?
Yes. This is not a big deal! No need to pour your money on expensive treatments such as chemical peel, bleaching, laser peel etc.
Here is how you can exfoliate at home;
- Know about your skin – whether it is sensitive, dry, oily, or a combination
- Find the best scrub to suit your skin conditions.
Done! Now you are ready to shed all those dead skin cells baby!
While buying the facial scrub make sure it contains small granules that easily roll on your skin, stimulates the blood circulation as you smoothly massage in a circular motion, and thus exfoliates properly by opening the skin pores.
You can also try homemade ingredients for skin exfoliation and the result of these natural products is promising.
How to Exfoliate at Home?
We have reached the main topic of this post. You can easily exfoliate at home and it is completely safe! There are multiple products like a facial scrub, smoothening scrub, skin exfoliators, facial brushes to help with exfoliation. Facial brushes are hand devices that help to unclog pores, remove dead skin cells.
Steps to exfoliate at home;
- Things you need; facial scrub, brush (If you are using), soft towel, and moisturizing cream.
- Pour a dab of scrub onto your fingers (or brush) and apply gently on your face.
- Smoothly rub on your face in a circular motion on cheeks, chin, forehead, nose, and neck. Don’t be harsh! Continue for 2 minutes.
- Wash face with warm luke water and tap dry with a smooth towel.
- Once the skin is dry apply your regular moisturizer.
Done! Exfoliating twice a week should be enough to maintain healthy skin.
There are many methods to exfoliate your skin. You can choose the easiest one according to your comfort.
What is Chemical Exfoliation?
Chemical exfoliation uses the chemicals such as hydroxy acids, retinol, enzymes to unclog the skin pores. This is usually done by the professionals or at home using right ingredients.
Chemical process can cause chemical reaction on skin and is not good for skin in the long run. The treatment varies depending on your skin type. It is wise to consult dermatologist before going for chemical peel.
Benefits of Skin Exfoliation
- It removes blackheads and whiteheads.
- Unclogs pores from the residual makeup, pollution, and dirt.
- Dark spots will start fading after a regular exfoliation.
- For people with oily skin, exfoliation is a great way to control the oil and thus it fights acne.
- Helps with glowing and radiated skin.
- Regular exfoliation helps with even skin tone.
- It makes skin tight, firm and smooth.
- Exfoliation rejuvenates the skin making it feel young and fresh.
Things to take care;
Rubbing skin harshly or exfoliating daily can damage your skin. It makes the skin more sensitive, increases rashes and redness. Before buying scrub don’t forget to check the ingredients. If you feel any burning or irritation during the process stop it immediately. Contact your dermatologist for any skin allergies or redness.
Make sure your skincare routine includes exfoliation. Don’t irritate your skin by forcing too many chemicals on it. Since exfoliation leaves skin dry applying a good amount of moisturization is a must! Choose your moisturizer wisely (non-comedogenic for sensitive skin!).